The PIME presence in Hong Kong dates back to the early years of the British colony, when its first member Paolo Reina came on April 11, 1858. The Hong Kong prefecture (later Vicariate) was entrusted to PIME in 1867, and Fr. Timoleone Raimondi was appointed as its head. In 1969, the direction of the diocese was handed over to the first Chinese bishop, Msgr. Francis Hsu Chen-Ping.
For more than a century, PIME was responsible for the development of the missionary work and the establishment of the local Churchin Hong Kong. The evangelization developed also in the New Territories, especially in villages and towns around Sai Kung and Taipo. In Southern China, PIME missionaries carried on pioneer missionary work in districts of Kwai Shin, San On and Hoi Fung, then part of the Hong Kong Vicariate. PIME missionaries worked in cooperation with Chinese priests, sisters and laity. The diocesan priests gradually increased in number and other religious congregations, male and female, helped in the evangelization of the territory.
From 1969, PIME helps the Diocese to carry out its evangelization mission and social services for local Catholics and the whole community. At present, PIME members are mainly engaged in pastoral, social and educational work, in parishes, in schools and other social and academic contexts.
Rev. Pasini Giorgio
Rev. Renzo Milanese
Rev. Bellati Franco
Rev. Augustine Zaw Aung
Rev. Jyothi Manohar