Rev. KWOK, King-Wan Renatus  郭景芸神父


* Birth in Haifeng, Guangdong: 14 May 1911
* Ordination in Hong Kong: 27 March 1937
* Death in Hong Kong: 15 August 1942
* Tam Tong, Huiyang: 1937 – 1938
* Pak Mong Fa (白芒花), Huiyang: 1939
* Ping Hoi, Huiyang: 1940
* Catholic Mission, Caine Road: 1941

一 九 一 一 年 五 月 在 廣 東 省 海 豐 縣 出 生 。 其 後 加 入 香 港 代 牧 區 修 院 , 並 於 一 九 三 七 年 三 月 廿 七 日 晉 鐸 。 晉 鐸 後 , 被 派 往 惠 陽 傳 教 。 一 九 四 零 年 被 調 回 香 港 工 作 。 一 九 四 一 年 至 四 二 年 出 任 西 貢 聖 心 堂 署 理 主 任 司 鐸 。 當 時 , 西 貢 在 日 軍 佔 領 下 , 治 安 惡 劣 , 常 發 生 騷 亂 、 暴 動 、 搶 劫 。 郭 神 父 於 一 九 四 二 年 八 月 十 五 日 不 幸 被 殺 。

Father Kwok was a native of Swabue, the place where Father Wong very nearly met his death, and he was an honoured son of the town, for he was the first native of it, and the first of all the Hokklo people to be ordained a priest. He was ordained in 1937, together with another priest from a neighbouring district, Father Leo Tam. After their ordination they visited their native place and got a triumphant welcome. Though the Hokklos of that part of Kwanktung had a large proportion of Catholic among them for many years, and produced many who were put to death because of their Faith, and could justly be called martyrs, they had never before had one of their people raised to the priesthood.

On that occasion therefore, when the boat bearing Father Kwok reached the quayside, he found the town authorities there to receive him, surrounded by a crowd which comprised the great majority of the population. He was escorted in procession to the church, where a solemn thanksgiving took place, and when he celebrated Mass the congregation spread far beyond the walls of the building.

On the way from the wharf to the church the procession passed by the prison where the three priests had been confined ten years before, and from which so many relatives of those now accompanying him had been led to death.

Father Kwok spent three years in the Waichow district, and then was transferred to the New Territories of Hong Kong, where he worked along with Father Wong. He was of a bright cheerful disposition, full of youthful ardour, and most popular with the people. He was one on whom great hopes were founded for the conversion of his fellow-countrymen.

At the end of August, 1942, he was captured by some unknown persons, and all that was ever heard of him after that was the vague news that he and Father Teruzzi and Father Wong were put to death in the following December. From that it was concluded that the two other priests must have got word of the place where he was held, and went there in an effort to secure his release, and in consequence lost their lives with him.

One other priest of the Vicariate died during those was years, Father David Arvat. He died in 1943 after having spent fifty-one years in Hong Kong. He and Father Spada were the two great links with the past, for both had come out to Hong Kong together in 1892, when Msgr. Raimondi was Bishop. They had seen all the changes which took place during those eventful years. Father Arvat spent practically all his time in the Chinese section of the Vicariate, and only come back to Hong Kong in his declining years when he was in feeble health. His weakness was respected by the Hong Kong authorities when the order came to intern all the Italians, and as has been already noted, he was allowed to remain in the hospital. He was the only priest of the Institute of Milan who was buried in the Hong Kong cemetery during the war years.

When the course of the war changed in 1945, and the end began to come in sight, the plight of all in Hong Kong became more serious. Bombing was then more frequent, supplies shorted, and the prospect of an attack on the Colony, with fighting on a scale much greater than before, loomed before the people. Fortunately the end came more quickly and more peacefully than could have been hoped for by anyone. On the day after the Feast of the Assumption, the surrender of Japan was acknowledged in Hong Kong, and a new era in its history began.

-The Story of A Hundred Year
by Father T.F. Ryan, S.J.
28 February 1958